Blog Archive

7.7.08

Jackie Brown ( E )

Cast : Pam Grier, Samuel L Jackson
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Based on the book "Rum Punch" by Elmore Leonard
So, back to Quentin Tarantino. So when I started off, I was expecting a lot. But when the credit roll showed based on a book "Rum Punch", I was switched off. Quentin Tarantino adapting a book! His own themes, that is what would have been cool. His unexpected twists and turns, exaggerated characters and a little money to add to the fun. All that was there. But in this case everything was more subtle and didn't raise the adrenaline level. Samuel L Jackson has almost a similar character to the one that was seen in "Pulp Fiction", so there was nothing new on that department. And when I saw Robert De Niro, I was expecting that he will deliver the twist. But alas, he was under-utilized. Pam Grier did a formiddable job. The entire running ( 148 minutes ) length is also a negative. Overall, watch it only if you are a Tarantino fan. And don't expect a lot.
6.5

No comments: